Friday, December 6, 2013

I love winter in San Diego

I got on my bike today after a month's rest and recuperation. First kidney stones, then a trip overseas, intestinal distress for a bit afterwards, and a few stormy days. Plus a blown-out water heater needing replacement. But now the sun is out, I've been out and back on a ride, and I'm wheezing over the keyboard.

But I am getting ahead of myself. 

Leaving the house at 9 am, I didn't know what to expect. It has been a whole month. Where will I ride? What will I see? How will I feel?


I need not have worried. Almost immediately I saw a Mustang Convertible, a good omen. Then workers on an enormous ladder decorating a tree for Christmas. I turned right and headed up the hill, thinking why not, I'm feeling good for the first 100 yards ...  That euphoria soon passed and I chugged  slowly up past the high school neon sign [56 degrees - Have a Nice Day]

As soon as I got past the first traffic signal, I noticed a Boat on the Street, and recalled that this is my new theme, and I was not supposed to notice Mustangs.


So I turned onto the sidewalk, pulled out my camera, and began to line up a photo. Almost immediately I noticed a second Boat on the Street behind the first, so here you go. Two for one.

I turned onto Nimitz and began the two-mile straight and slightly downhill run.


The river looked too good to pass up, so I went north and crossed to Mission Bay. What a gorgeous day!


Since I can't go out on a whale watching boat today (too many obligations), I stopped by the dock just to say hi to the folks who ARE going on the water.


Turning homeward, I saw two other cyclists heading south across the river - serious twenty-something young women riding very high-tech bikes; outfitted in fancy shoes, cycling shorts, leggings, etc. We rode along for a couple miles and while waiting at a stop one said "You're a pretty fast rider" to which I said (breathlessly) "Not really, just an old guy trying hard to keep up." She laughed and said "you're certainly outriding two young girls; that's something to be proud of!"


How little it takes to make one's day, eh?