Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Over the Road


We spent most of the day clambering around Crystal Mountain, and posing with Mt. Rainier in the background. As we drove down to sea level, I aspired to a short bike ride. 

So I'm riding a Bianchi this evening. 

Once known for painting bikes only in dentist office green, in 1992 Bianchi created this bike in blue-purple and green.  This combination used to be extremely fashionable (I have a kayak and a pair of cycling shoes in these colors). It is not today's first choice, though. 


This little bike has extremely wide gearing, cantilever brakes, lots of braze-ons, and a woman's saddle. The seat is Ouch! for me, but acceptable for my sister-in-law. 


Here's my standard downward photo, as I got myself acquainted with the bike. It had a slightly loose headset, which we fixed after the ride. Love the matching green tape and cables?


I rode out of their suburban Seattle-area neighborhood, "across the tracks" and into a mysterious time warp - the homes, cars and atmosphere seemed to be a throwback to the Sixties. For example, the self-proclaiming Monster Truck:


Luckily as I wound around the streets and alleys, the atmosphere gradually warped back to the present ...


And I was returned to the magical atmosphere of the Cascade mountains.