Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wrong Way Wrider!

I got up at six and down to the basement to watch the Tour de France on the big screen. Two hours of excitement, then I got up and out for a ride. Since it was a hill climb through the Pyrenees today, I went uphill. On the usual crummy road surface.


My wife asked if we could take a break from Mustangs, so I concentrated on looking for old cars. I managed to spot two vintage Toyota Land Cruisers (at different houses).

"Will they suffice for Car(s) of the Day, honey?"

This is an FJ40, I think.


Here's the bigger one.

I got a call after 30 minutes, asking me if I wanted to get out on the water today.

I said "Yes, in fact I am looking at San Diego harbor right now. Shall we make it the 10:00 boat?"
He said "Yes."

I was looking out at the harbor from the TOP of the hill. South-eastward:


And south-westerly:


An hour later, after breakfast and the newspaper, my wife dropped me off at the dock.  My friend was nowhere in sight.

 I called him: "Where are you?"
He said "At the dock, a hundred feet away on the bench." 
I said "Bench? What bench? I don't see any bench?"
He said "Where are you?"
I said "I'm at the dock. By the Midway, San Diego harbor. Point Y."
He said "Uh-oh. I'm at Seaforth Landing, Mission Bay. Point X."

Oops. Wrong boat, wrong harbor, six-seven miles is too far to walk in 30 minutes, expensive for a cab, didn't have my bike, wife was headed home and her phone wasn't turned on.


So I walked 3 miles (half-way home), calling every few minutes. She finally came and got me, but my legs are aching.

Luckily there are two whale-watching cruises today, so we could catch the later one ... and we did, spotting this very nice Fin whale near North Coronado Island.