Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Brief Respite

We had a rainstorm last night. High winds this morning have dried the ground and cleared the skies. So out I went for a short ride on the Banana Bike.


My shadow is punctuated by sparkles off the paving, caused by the intensely bright sun behind me.

I can see and feel that it's time to find a new set of brake hoods. All my bikes need new hoods - the natural rubber material rots away, leaving peaks and valleys of hard and soft. There's little chance my hands will slip, but I don't experience much cushion or comfort there either.

This safety mirror I found in one of our alleys helps to convey the sense of this morning's clean and bright atmosphere. I wish I could take a deep breath without coughing and hacking.


I decided to do the weekly shopping this morning and take my bike along. That gave me a chance to explore some farther reaches that I don't yet have breathing capacity to reach unassisted. Here's a photo of an unpaved alley in the "wooded district".


Along the way I spotted this rare white Cadillac hearse, headed for the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery. I hope there was no one "in the back" because the driver was setting a very brisk and disrespectful pace through the residential neighborhood ... he might have been late for the event!


I'm considering this my car-spotting target for the day.