Sunday, February 24, 2013

Look Around You


As I said in the first of my posts, I don't ride primarily for exercise or transportation. I have been riding for recreation - that is, Re-Creation of my mind and body by getting outdoors and moving. So as a consequence, I look around a lot. Cars, yards, birds, etc.  I saw three Corvettes - red and white C6 models and one white beauty from 1962. But I didn't have my camera ready. So you have to settle for an H1 Hummer for today's car-on-the-street, under-the-handlebars photo.
Shortly afterwards, I was zipping along our arterial route. I saw something for virtually the first time. Even though I must have seen it "a million times" before.

I saw this carved door, on the front of an office building designed by Richard Wheeler,  a prominent mid-century architect in San Diego. He designed my house. So I got off my bike, knelt down on the ground, and shot upwards to capture as much of the door as I could. What do you think?
I saw another rider following me closely. When I stopped, she stopped. Like a shadow. She stayed at the edge of my vision - first on one side, then the other. Finally I surprised her by slamming on the brakes. She went ahead, and I snapped a picture. It was my wife! Riding like this seemed very strange, because we haven't ridden our single bikes together for at least 10 years. We always take the tandem. 
This succulent garden drew our attention. If you look closely in the middle [click any image to enlarge it, then return to come back), you might see a red snake sunning itself on the rock. It was definitely a snake. We left quickly, rode for a few more minutes, then went home. 

PS - it was a rubber snake. Would you like to see a real rattlesnake that snuck into my office?