Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back on the Bike

This blog is about CYCLING: The act, sport, or technique of riding or racing on a bicycle , motorcycle, or similar vehicle. It's being brought to you as entertainment and nothing should be construed as being helpful, accurate or having any redeeming social value.

I've been riding bicycles for most of my life. Mostly pedaling. Sometimes pushing. Recently I've retired. I'm no longer "working for the man" in an office 25 miles from home. So I dragged my old bikes down from the rafters, cleaned off the dust, and hit the road.




I'm going to try to share some of my rides in this blog. I'm hopeful that I can include a Car photo of the day - preferably a nicely maintained, but rare old car seen along the way. Ready? Here are a few shots from my first few rides:



I am starting off with the Schwinn Paramount P3, circa 1973. An old-school bike, I have fingertip shifters, Campagnolo everything, a fully-chromed Reynolds 531 frame, and sew-up tires. Not your more practical commuter. I bought it in 1973 and have had it 40 years.



Trying to ride and take a photo without crashing (succeeded).


Had to go home and put some lube on the chain and derailleurs. Excellent - now I can get 1st gear. So I headed out again into the hostile world of cars and bikes. 



I managed to avoid getting entangled in this collision just a few minutes from home. The roads are not very safe - especially with texting teens and fume-spewing four-by-fours.


Ah, a Hillman Minx. I used to catch a ride to my first job in Renton, Washington in a Hillman Minx convertible. Even back in 1969, it wasn't safe, it wasn't watertight, and it wasn't warm at midnight when the newspaper presses shut down and we sloshed our way home.



Volkswagen Beetle and Datsun 240Z - just regular old cars around the neighborhood.


Nice GMC pickup. I'd guess this is about 1958-60 or so.


Volvo 122, like the one that will be featured in my next blog (yes, I'm a prophet). 


In case you wonder if I am really riding, I'll include a shot of the bike now and then to prove it.

Thanks for stopping by. Subscribe if you like, using the tabs at upper right.