Monday, February 25, 2013

I Never Expected a Road Garden


There I was, riding along, and suddenly a miniature garden appeared, right in the middle of the street. Perfectly circular, on a major residential roadway, and growing happily. I was astonished.

Would you like to have a look? This is from standing height.
Perhaps a closer look? Zoomed in a bit. 
This garden is apparently growing where an access hole was drilled to inspect something under the asphalt - how else can we explain the circularity and sharp edges of the hole? Notice there are several species of plants, grasses, weeds, etc. And a bright yellow flower.
This tiny garden in the road reminded me of The Green Man, a song by Malcolm Guite

I'm the Green Man and I make love with the rain,
I'm the Green Man and it's time to break my chain
You might think I'm finished but I'll spring back up again

You can cover me in concrete, staple me down with steel,
Spread your houses and your car parks over my fields
But I'll still be there keeping everything alive
And I'll spring back green - but you might not survive .... 

Riding along, I also noticed a peculiar windvane poking up over someone's garage. A cross between Lindberg Field and the Hotel Del Coronado, perhaps?
I stopped to take a photo of it, which drew the attention of a neighbor starting his car, who then followed me slowly down the street, glaring angrily at me through his side window - for invading the privacy of his public alleyway. It didn't seem very private to me, and besides, I once lived in the house in-between Mr. Windvane and Mr. Irate.

Just so you don't think I am only strolling, and taking photos, here's today's proof.