Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How Do I Leave Thee?

The Blog Post Title today is a slight mis-statement of a famous Elizabeth Barret Browning poem:

How do I love thee? 
Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach ...


Yeah, yeah, yeah. OK, enough of that, on to the cycling.

The question is how many ways do I have to leave the house on my bike. The answer is Plenty.

Unlike many houses which are on a hilly, dead-end street, I have at least a dozen exit routes. Here is a map showing these ways to leave. The scale is one half-mile per side. Of course as is customary on treasure maps, X marks the bicycle garage, my starting place.
The GREEN lines show exits that require riding through the canyon or on a trail. The sneaky ways out. One of which appears to be blocked this morning!
The YELLOW lines show the ways I can ride on an alley (mostly paved; some dirt).
The RED are normal streets that you drive with your car (there are many more RED tributaries than I have counted).

The gradient (dark to light shading at 135° diagonal) portrays the slope of our hill. Up is at top left.

Routes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 12 are uphill (darker). The rest are downhill (lighter). If I had used a larger map, I could have shown that all routes go downhill pretty quickly - certainly within a mile. Which means they are uphill coming home (as I have complained before).

What's the point? Other than amusement for me and sheer amazement for my readers, this is a chance to reacquaint myself with Adobe Illustrator, the multi-layer, vector-based, technical-drawing software I used to make the map.

It also Illustrates the dilemma I face each morning. Which Way Do I Go?

Any "leaving home" choice must consider either (A) coasting, or (B) working hard in the first 30 seconds. Hmmm. Which way would you chose to start out? 
If I chose working hard, I'll get an immediate warm-up work-load. If I chose coasting, I'll be chilled. Today I just went up and played on the tractors for awhile and came home!