Wednesday, March 6, 2013

One, Two, Three times a Hummer

I saw a hummer today. In fact, I saw three. Not counting this one sitting on her nest.
Ignoring the real Hummingbird, let's count the HumVees.

High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles. Otherwise known as Hummers. The military vehicle that can drive over, around or through almost anything except explosive devices. Sadly it is now being phased out for vehicles that are safer, more economical - frankly better - but less lovable.
This overstock of beige military Hummers are parked a couple miles from my place, in a government surplus storage lot. Don't bother to bid unless you are familiar with 24 volt electrical systems, diesel, and noise.
The silver one above lives 3 blocks from me, and has been shown in a post before. It's a civilian version of the AM General Humvee and designated the H1.

I once was intent on buying an H1, but wisely rented an older and much more primitive H1 first. Here it is next to my 2CV Van. I was happy to give it back after the weekend. 
And yes, in case you were wondering, it does feel that big when you are driving it around - either around town or off-road.
The yellow vehicle shown above lives about 4 blocks west of the silver one. It's a modified GM truck underneath, and is called the H2. It's a capable 4x4, but many Hummer enthusiasts consider it "not quite the real thing." I notice all these Hummers have a push or brush bar on the front. Is there any vehicle that needs one less??
The white truck is also a modified GM truck (the Canyon), and it's called the H3. It was the last of the line; GM has ended production of new Hummer vehicles, closing down the division almost exactly 2 years ago. The H3 was closer to a usable street vehicle than any other Hummer, but as a product it was not enough to offset the rise of gas prices and decline of the stock market.
Here's the "I actually rode my bike today" proof photo for you. I could tell an improvement in the rolling resistance of the Paramount after its wheels were re-lubricated.

We will finish up with another Hummer. It's giving us the raspberry.