Friday, March 1, 2013

Paint My Ride Two

A few days ago I did a post on bike frame painting.

In that post, I made unsubstantiated claims about my buddy JB, claiming he and his crew are "the all-time masters" of frame painting. Talk is cheap, I know that. So today I went out to have lunch, talk about old times, and gather some evidence. So here it is!
This is a Fuji frame with JB's special attention to colors, stripes, patterns, polishing, and preparation. The owner asked for grey, white and red. The rest was left up to the painters.
 I have never seen any bicycle frame even remotely like this. JB's assistant (John) did the layout of the stripes.
 Joe was putting the final touches on trimming, polishing and packaging the frame for shipment to its soon-to-be-ecstatic owner.
What do you think? My opinion is it's a beautifully-done work of art but too much for me to image looking down on as I'm riding.
There were a number of conventional frames in the shop too, in case this is too weird or flashy for your normal riding. You can have plain paint, panels, fades, stripes, detailing, decals, etc. etc.

If you've saved up a grand or so, and can wait a few months, you can have a JB paint job like this on your bike:
I know the quality of his work, from having his paint stick to the frame tubes of my two bikes for 30+ years (your mileage may vary). It may be so beautiful when it's finished that you hang it on the wall rather than ride it.
Even though painters seem to move at a glacial pace, I quite wasn't able to catch JB standing still for even a second. Here's a slightly blurry shot of him returning from the fork closet.
Disclaimer- I did not receive any favors or lunch to post this.
Nor did I ride my bike out to Casa De Oro - I drove.