Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Now You See Me, Now You Don't

Today's ride didn't start until 5:30 pm. That's late for me as I am usually cooking by now. But our schedules were all jumbled up today. I knew the traffic would be busy and dusk approaching, so I dressed the part.

Which picture do you like most? Watch Carefully. I am the model and my wife was the photographer. Animation is courtesy of Picasion (not Picasso).
making gif
Maybe I am harping on this too much, but I keep seeing near-invisible people while out riding my bike.  Here you can see what the local street looks like after 5 - dog walkers, skateboarding commuter, parked cars, moving truck (and cyclist). [Click any image to enlarge it]
So I dug out my safety vest this afternoon - bought on our last trip to Europe. These vests are required IN EVERY CAR in some countries, just in case of a breakdown, flat tire, etc. The French are taking "death on the roadway" very seriously. And stylishly.
I zipped around the neighborhood for a half hour, and came up with some candidates for the daily Car Seen on the Street photo. I had to give up on 76 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (white over red, like all the Mustangs). The owners were sitting on the porch glaring suspiciously at me. So I settled on a Porsche GT2. A 2012 model is approximately $245,000 plus tax and license. Yeow! Five times what I paid for my house down the block (35 years ago).
After thinking that I am a bit under-equipped in the vehicular department, I decided it's getting time to ride home for supper. After my whining about other people, I don't want to be on these mean streets without lights.