Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Battered and Beat; Bearing Boats and Bikes

Our roads are battered and beat. Burdened. Bumpy. 


But there must be an end in sight. Soon. How do I know?  A huge flatbed truck came today and took away the shipping container that the sewer guys have been using as a storage shed. They put it someplace else - meaning the mess is about to show up over there...


And a half-mile away, I saw this: the Eve of Destruction


In my college days, that was a famous song, played by Barry McGuire and the New Christy Minstrels. In a fit of overconfidence, one day I called him up and asked if he would play a concert at our Student Union. To my utter amazement, he said yes. I picked him up at the airport, gave him a ride up to the school, and sat backstage watching it happen. Now you can see him doing the same song (about 5 years earlier than my concert).


He's accompanied by one of the most surreal sets ...

Anyway, sorry I got distracted. We were talking about sewers and destruction and torn-up roads.
  • Luckily, the new project is not too close to us, and the dust will blow away from us, downwind.
  • Unluckily, it's blocking one of our primary in/out routes. 
Sigh. I'm not looking forward to another 9 month obstacle course to further develop my bike riding skills.

As I rode along, I saw a boat sitting at the curb, and decided today was the day I shift from spotting Mustang Convertibles to spotting boats parked on the street. They are everywhere - look in your neighborhood!


This is an inconspicuous boat, neatly parked and nicely wrapped with an Alabama (or was it Arkansas?) license plate. What's that about? It's going to have to move unless the owners want a pipe laid through the middle of it ...

After riding awhile, I sat at this intersection for what seemed like 5 minutes. Huge truck ahead of me, cars from 5 directions at rush hour, groups of students hiking along on their way home from school, etc. Finally we all got across.


I decided to treat myself to a smooth ride and cut across the park on the grass.