Monday, October 28, 2013

A Damp and Dreary Day


Wow! It's been a long lay-off for me. I've been whale watching, and writing a book about it. That takes up some active time and all my computer energy.


But what better to do on this cold, damp, dreary Monday than to go up to the corner on my bike and be met by a white Mustang Convertible?!

I had to go down to the eye doctor to get some new glasses. While I was waiting, I took a cruise down Newport and saw the newly renovated Ocean Beach International Backpacker's Hostel. This has been a "destination" for travelers from all over the world (and other astral planes, as well).


And I was very amused by the skull and crutches spare tire cover on this Jeep.


And by another white Mustang Convertible, parked right in front of the cheesy apartment I briefly inhabited back some 40 years ago.



I left OB and headed towards the San Diego River.


Before I reached it, I saw another Orange Bike installation. I have seen this bike now in 4 locations around our part of town. It's always chained to a safe place, then when its removed, a little orange paint is left on the post as a reminder. Here's the answer to what's going on with the bikes.


I finally got to the river, where I rode a couple miles westward to the end. The fence. We've been to this jetty and fence before on the blog. In this episode from May, and this one from March.


I only saw one cat but I smelled more than one dog (Dog Beach is to the south 100 yards)


I watched the Privateer whale boat come in, then rode over and talked with the crew. No whales today, but 20+ White-Sided Dolphin - the first of the season.


I found today's Boat on the Street. The bottoms of the hulls are seriously delaminating! And covered with marine organisms. A good speed brake, I'd say, for the sailboat.


Returning to my own neighborhood, I took a look at the water control access pipe which is still sticking up in the street, posing a target (or hazard) to drivers and riders.


I know the valve in this access shaft ties right into the main water supply, because a few days ago they were flushing clean water through the system and out through this pipe.


I went to the grocery store, bought food for dinner (narrowly escaping the purchase of a 5 pound bag of bread flour, when I remembered I was on my bike!). I'll close with this enigmatic bumper sticker: