Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Seeing The Unexpected

Sometimes things don't go the way you expect. 

That was my experience yesterday while riding. For example, this spare tire hanging from the outside of a roof rack, on the rattiest Volvo wagon I've ever seen. You've got to wonder, "What if he hits a bump? Or hits a bump while going around a right-hand bend?"  Whoever is following him will be toast if the tire careens into them.


If you are not blinded by the sun, you'll see that this shot shows sewer-replacement workers at the park. I know to expect them there. But I didn't think that they would have the whole intersection closed up while they dug a trench diagonally across the convergence of 3 streets. When I first saw the 12-foot mound of dirt and asphalt, I was followed by several irritated and in-a-hurry drivers, so I couldn't get a photo. In this shot they are filling in the hole. The mess is mostly gone.


Luckily, on a bicycle one can get around almost any blockage - by taking to the sidewalks, lawns or gutters and leaving the drivers behind.

As I rode down this nearby street, a bright blue sky framed a distance view of hills across town. This view has "always been here" but I've seldom gone down this street in this direction, and never noticed the panorama before. This photo doesn't really do it justice


At the very bottom, at a cul-de-sac, I got an even nicer look at the skies, and an even more distant view of another part of town. I also noticed a street crew tearing up the roadway below (and a stack of covered sewer pipes too).


Everywhere I rode it was beautiful - which I should (but didn't) expect. I was thinking about a doctor appointment I had scheduled for later in the afternoon.


After my ride, and successful discussion with the doctor, I made another little excursion on the ocean. It was beautiful there too.