Monday, October 14, 2013

Using the Crosswalk

I rode to the store today. In the early afternoon. I took a highly unusual route (for me), too. Down the hill, around the corner, up the sidewalk, then off the bike and trot down some steps. Back on the bike for another mile or two ...


The road surface quality was ok, and the 35-50 mph traffic only moderately terrifying. I mean it. 


After locking up the bike, entering the store and doing my shopping, I headed home. At the worst point (seen above) I took the coward's way out and waited for a signal change to cross "in the crosswalk". I made it, injury-free, and that's the main thing. 


On the way back, I saw a moderately scruffy Mustang Convertible. A new one for my photo records. "But wait (I hear you say), haven't you given up tracking MCs?" Yes. This Mustang photo is a fluke. 


No, not that kind of fluke (which belongs to a blue whale I saw on Friday), but an aberation, an accident, an addiction ... thus it might happen again. 


And again.




Speaking of water, I did spot a BOAT ON THE STREET as well, including two personal watercraft on a trailer in the driveway at the same house. 


I went home a different route to avoid gusty winds. It involved riding on gravel and dirty, walking through deep sand, getting accosted by two large dogs, and pulling about a dozen thorns from my tires.  Not much of a savings -- next time I'll probably brave those windy streets.