Friday, October 4, 2013

On the Road to the Water

I've done my bike ride early this morning, so I can go out on the ocean. Here, before 9 am I am completing the blog. And  the results?

I briefly contemplated heading out on one of the dirt routes, but the overgrowth deterred me. And because I have just cleaned my bike's chain and lubricated it, I am loathe to get it all dirty again riding in the dust, gravel and weeds.


Speaking of overgrown, I spotted this trumpet vine (or it is purple morning glory?) that has totally consumed this hillside. Pretty! Unless you are the plants under it, straining for your share of sunshine and water. It's gone up the telephone pole, over the fence -- and is taking on the roof of the house behind it.


Meanwhile, around the corner, with a regal glare these two lions stand watching the rising sun ...


Of course, no ride is just beautiful foliage and sculpture. We always have the possibility of seeing less bucolic, but still-appealing elements of urban life. Such as this boat and Mustang Convertible. Another two-in-one shot!


I rode on for awhile then pulled out my camera again. 

This large boat is parked only an inch from what looks like its owner's towing vehicle. But that truck doesn't have a trailer ball in place, so this boat is clearly qualifying for my ON THE STREET designation. I think this is a common ruse - the owner keeps his tow vehicle tightly (but not actually) connected to the trailer to give the appearance to traffic wardens that he's ready to pull it away at any time. The neighbors think differently.


Now, this very long trailer, with axles at the extreme rear, hints to us that its boat is long but light, and all the weight is concentrated on the back. I'd have expected to find this a big-block inboard power train. But if you look closely, you will see that the outboard motor which powers it is missing both its upper end (cylinders) and the lower end (prop). There's only the main lower housing (see motor above) still attached to the hull. Add to that the spiderwebs inside the engine housing, and I definitely think this qualifies as a BOAT that has been ON THE STREET for a long time.


I was enjoying riding on this bright clear morning and only remembered to fire off one shot at the last moment to confirm that I was indeed on my bike. A surreal but faulty focusing effort by the iPhone...


whereas a couple hours later, it seemed to focus just fine on this shot!