Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Some days I just can't ride

I'm not sure why I don't feel like riding every day. Maybe it's because the weather is bad. Or too nice. Or chores detail me. Or I eat too much at dinner and can't get off the couch... roasted potatoes, red bell peppers, carrots, garlic and a piece of meat. With a splash of Niner Wine. And a salad (not shown).


Despite all the good excuses for not riding, I did get out on the bike this evening. I felt light-hearted, so I took the light bike. (BTW - the dinner shown above is why I didn't ride last night.)


It wasn't that bright outside, as the marine layer is clamping down on us again. We had nearly a month of excellent sunny weather but now it's ended. Nice clean weather mirror though, thanks to our Windex job on it.


When I was growing up in the eastern end of San Diego back in the mid-Fifties, we got a novel plant at the nursery, called Pampas Grass. The nurseryman warned that it was dangerous and might run rampant all over the neighborhood (a prediction that did not come true in our area although it may have in others). He should have mentioned bamboo - which did take over our neighbor's yard until they bulldozed it up.

You can look here for a list of invasive grasses you shouldn't put in your yard!

Sad to say, since then I have actually liked the look of tall grasses, and I was intrigued by the gleaming of this light through this grass. When I pulled up on my bike for a closer look and photo, I noticed something glaring at me, and it wasn't their dog.


Last time I checked it was OCTOBER ONE, not THIRTY-ONE. Why the giant spider, so soon? There were also spiderwebs hanging down from the clock in the auto parts store today. The O'Reilly Auto Parts store. Sheesh. Don't they have work to do? It's not like car guys give a rip about decor...


Anyway, newly disgruntled, I rode off to have a look across the harbor. And a very nice view it was.


Then I beat it home before the lights went out.