Saturday, May 18, 2013

More Than I Expected

I planned to go out for a short ride this morning, and ended up doing 20 miles, including straight up zig-zagging up one of the steepest hills around.

I started out heading north and east, and in one block I saw two black top over white paint Mustang Convertibles. Don't believe me? Here's number 1 in a drive-by shot.
And here's number 2 about 10 cars later down the street. Both of these are within a mile of my place but I hadn't seen them before. Notice the different scoops behind the front door. I'm actually noticing details on this ever-so-common car that I never gave a moment's notice to before this riding gig began in February.
I headed across the San Diego River towards Mission Beach, on one of the narrowest sidewalk/bike paths I've ever been on. Heaven forbid someone is coming the other way - on foot or bike.
Due to a fairly low tide, looking east up the river towards its source you see a lot of mudflats.
Once I reached the end of the jetty I could see over to Dog Beach to the south, and South Mission Beach on the North. If that makes sense. Then I turned around, and by riding 4 miles east, south and west, I got across those 100 yards of water.
 And here I am at OB pier, checking out the waves and it's not even 9 o'clock in the morning yet.
Heading southward along the ocean, I marveled at the beautiful day we were having.
Until it was spoilt by a silver Mustang Convertible. I chased a bit while I got my camera out, but they escaped. But it's obviously a new, unseen one with an older couple in it. They turned south and then downhill, and I wasn't going to lose more altitude for another photo.
Here I met a BA pilot taking a ride on his layover day in San Diego. He wanted to get to the lighthouse but didn't know the route. Follow me, I foolishly said, and right up the steep hill at Point Loma Nazarene we went, then wheezing, over to Catalina and out to the point.
We had a short rest, then parted company and I rode back home, pretending I was feeling great. But I was beat. Almost too tired to show this FOURTH Mustang Convertible.  But not quite.
Now I feel ready for a nap.