Friday, May 31, 2013

Back in the Day

I am a life member of Hosteling International, and I was once a board member of the San Diego American Youth Hostel local organization (now called HI-USA). I'd forgotten both those facts until tonight, when I rode past the house once occupied by Clark and Aileen Elliot and sons Ralph and Glenn (?). It's a bit overgrown now.


Aileen and Ralph were movers and shakers in local cycling. She was the driving force in establishing the local youth hostel back in 1979,  just a mile or so from her house (and mine). The hostel used to be named after her, but times have changed and the identities of the virtuous have been lost.

It was a very nice evening, warm enough for shirt sleeves (and yellow luminous vest) and cool enough that I could go up the hills without overheating. Here's a look out at the city.

Not far from this spot I saw my first front-yard Zebra. He didn't seem to mind having his photo taken.


I also smelled lots of flowers - their aroma fills the air on nights like this and a bicycle is the best way to transport yourself from scent-cloud to scent-cloud. I wonder what it would be like if we could actually see the extent of the smells around us. Do you think that's what dogs can do?


Speaking of Dogs, here's a great old Chevy pickup that was sitting right directly across from the Rambler Ambassador labeled Lilly Riley Bail Bonds - the "Bail Bondswoman of the Beach"



MUSTANG CONVERTIBLES


Regular readers of this blog might be wondering if I saw any Mustang Convertibles today. The answer is, Yes I did! These are the only ones I captured with my camera; I think I saw three more M Cs, making a total of 7 today. It must be summer in San Diego!






  
The End