Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Long Beach and Back

Today we drove 200 miles to see our nephew graduate with a masters in PT from CSULB. So I took my bike, knowing university campuses are far too large and confusing to walk around, looking for one small group of students. And while riding, I spotted a very nice Falcon Station Wagon.
The Falcon was near the swimming pool. An older swimmer came out later and drove off in it. We moved over to a closer spot near the graduation ceremony, and of course, we saw a few Mustangs, including this convertible. All told, we saw 8 M Cs on our way up and back from Long Beach.
After we got home it seemed too nice to have dinner without some exercise first, so we rode off together for awhile. During our cruise, I took her around some of my haunts from earlier in the week.

We reminisced about earlier rides we've done to Long Beach. Our bike club, the San Diego American Youth Hostels, used to have a 200 mile weekend ride up to LB and back. Up on Saturday, back on Sunday. Saturday night sleep on the concrete (ouch) floor of the Lakewood Recreation Center. I found bruises on places I never even suspected could hurt, so after the first couple years I managed to either bring a backpacking pad or air mattress. When we were in our Thirties, we got a motel room. I think I did the ride at least 18 times ... the last time it rained both days, all the way, and I saw that's enough.
Remember the Vampire car? I didn't get a good angle on it the first time, but I was able to today - showing its extreme lift and 24" tires. BTW, those are my wheels spokes, not a chain link fence.
We saw the Creamsicle truck too, but I don't want to bother with more pictures of it. And amazingly enough, we saw yet another M C in dirty white on white.
After sprinting back home, we're now looking for some hot supper, so I will end the post here and now.