Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Warrington, Wawona, Wildwood & Worden

Warrington, Wawona, Wildwood and Worden are not novels nor are they people I know.

They are streets that I traversed today. The environment was mild, gray and congested - a good day for spotting cars;  a bad day for street construction and the school run.
I didn't find any Mustangs today, but I did notice this nice Red Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible 390 with White top. I really like this Ford body style and the alloy mags are a nice vintage detail. This car is worth about $15,000.
Around the corner from the Ford, I saw a very nice Rambler Classic wagon. For being nearly 50 years old, it's in great shape, don't you think? 
Here's a view of the very serious front end of this car. No frills, just a slash with 4 headlamps. Notice the chrome strip on the side starts off optimistically and fades away when it gets to the front door.
Original small hubcaps add that "I bought the cheaper one" touch of frugality. My guess is the original purchaser was an aerospace engineer at Convair (like my step-father).

Here's my obligatory daily riding photo, so you can see I'm not taking all these photos from the car.
I was in this neighborhood because I sought some relief from the middle school traffic. I recalled a house I considered buying 20 years ago and rode over to see how it looks. It has a great view and a 4-car garage, but it was poorly constructed and had some wacky neighbors in the adjacent properties. It looked like things haven't really changed.
I was just kidding earlier about not seeing a Mustang Convertible today. Here he is:
When I got home from the bike ride I decided to look up our sewer project. The city gave a $1.9 million dollar contract to Ortiz Construction, who will take 5 months to complete the job. It includes abandoning sections of 100-year-old sewer, the construction of some new lines, re-siting of a number of manholes and water mains, and re-surfacing the streets.

The city plans amusingly refer to "paper alleys" and "paper streets" which exist only in their drawings and maps. Unfortunately, REAL sewers run through these "paper alleys". Those lines will be capped off, and new ones laid in new trenches across those properties. Ah, the price of progress (and low-flow toilets!)

Speaking of progress, I updated the look of the blog today. I wanted more than one subject to appear on the front page when you come here -- now you will see earlier ones below -- and it looks much more like my blog on icons. I hope it works well on your devices!