Monday, May 27, 2013

My Hands Hurt

Too much work today. My hands ache. Partly from the riding. Partly from the working.


We took some old wheels down from the rafters in the garage - and discovered two sets of NEW but Old Stock Arc en Ciel (Rainbow) rims that I bought as spares for the Paramount, and Super Champion rims I bought for spares for the tandem. And a set of 650B rims and tires for the tandem. But they didn't look too good.


Even though the flashing marks from molding the rubber hadn't been worn off by riding, the sidewalls were shot. The rubber was hard. You can tell they are obsolete by the $6.95 price!


We washed the wheels. We rubbed each spoke. We lubricated the freewheels, and steel-wooled the edges of the rims. My wife used a round tail file to clean the rim's bead groove, so new tires will seat properly. I put the new tires onto the empty rims to stretch them out for the eventual appearance on the Paramount.

 She's not in a wheel chair, it's a real chair surrounded by bike wheels. Here they are in the garage.


After the wheels, we turned to washing 3 cars and conditioning the leather on another. Then we set out for a ride to the lighthouse. It was a nice, warm, windy day. We saw two black on black M Cs, but didn't catch them on camera. I did spot this Monte Carlo which is from "my car era".


Here's an action shot to show we are not making this all up. It's my wife's calf and thigh.


Finally, here we are, looking like tourists and getting our photo taken by a stranger. He did a nice job, don't you think? We are at the whale information station; the photographer was facing north and west.


and here's a shot looking to the east and south, over North Island and back at San Diego.