Thursday, May 23, 2013

Riding Before

My wife went to school early today. I thought I'd try a bike ride before I was fully awake; before the sun was up; before the construction started; before the wind began to blow; before 7 am; before all the school traffic started. Before my first cup of tea. Well, not that early.  I had a cuppa, then set out.

My strategy worked. No crowded roads filled with anxious parents and their Whatever students.

I also took the opportunity to try on my wife's new Bell helmet, before committing to buy one for myself. My old-tech Bell helmet is 40 and ready to be replaced.
The sewer-upgrade tractors were still sleeping curbside when I slid by on my way to the weather mirror. Their masters, the Ortiz contractor boys, have not yet arrived to put them to work beeping and belching smoke and dust.
The "weather mirror" is mounted in an alley. While it's intended to give cars a view around the corner, it also provides me (and you) with a nice wide-angle view of the sky. I'd say the weather looks unsettled today.
As I have explained before, I am trying to ride every day but I ride at random. No pattern, no goal, no set distance, time or route. 

MUSTANG CONVERTIBLES


The only constant, which I did not specify or invent, seems to be the presence of one or more Mustang Convertibles (or M C) every day. Did I see one on this morning's BEFORE ride? Yes, of course. Black top, gray paint. Here's an over-the-shoulder view.
I got home while the sun was barely peeking over the horizon. You can tell by the angle of the shadows in this photo taken at shoe-string height. Time for a cuppa tea.