Thursday, May 16, 2013

Michelin Man Rides Again

I have long been a collector of Michelin memorabilia. They make tires, maps, restaurant and hotel guides (and software), etc. Here are some of my trinkets.
I have a few maps and books, plus signs that I have obtained here and there. In "the old days" or rather, "back in the day" you could only get stuff given by the company to a Michelin dealer or from black market producers in Turkey or somewhere like that. They didn't sell trinkets to civilians. But then the Paris boutique opened, the range of accessories expanded, the merchandizing began (wiper blades, drinks coasters, sweatshirts, clocks, etc.) and my interest waned. Besides, sadly, Mr Bibendum (Bib to his friends) became politically correct - slim and trim and green.

Which do you prefer? I'll take the fat lazy smoking Bib over the smiley nurturing gardener Bib.


Here he is frolicking in the vineyards of the Chateau in the Loire Valley.


But this blog is supposed to be about bike riding, right? Excusez-moi, I forgot por un momentito.
Why this talk of Michelin?  Well, I got my courage up this morning and pulled out my one remaining cycling jersey from the past, and it fit me again! Here I am riding along in a parking lot taking pictures of my stomach.
I noticed this pristine BMW parked in that lot. Not in the far corner,straddling two spots, as BMWs are likely to be found, but in the Electric Car Only charging area, where it's even less likely to be disturbed!

Not a good sign for the electric car lobby. I did see a Tesla on the way into the parking lot, but there are 7 more charging stations available for him if he needs some volts.
Before I rode this morning, I pulled the brake cables, trimmed off each end of the housings, cleaned and lubed the cables, cleaned the Campy brake pads with solvent, and readjusted the brakes. They work much better now. 
And while I was down there, I noticed a shallow stamp in the top of the fork tubes, peeking through the chrome plating "Reynolds Butted".  Can you see the hint of it?