Friday, May 10, 2013

Land Sea and Air

I rode my bike, saw a car, cruised around the harbor, and rode home. Full stop. But wait, I owe you more than just one short sentence. So I'll elucidate.
 My road was still being dug up by tractors. But the weather was fine, so I rode off to the harbor.
I got a ticket for the Harbor Excursion cruise, then while I waited, I rode around looking at monuments and things. Like this sandstone bas-relief panel of a destroyer.
 I saw a Morgan go by, and chased him to the end of the pier, where he appeared to fall asleep. And who wouldn't want a nap on a warm sunny morning?
 I went back and cruised the harbor on the Lord Hornblower. Light crowd - only 30 or so by my guess.
Afterwards, I rode my bike across the only active taxiway in America that crosses a major metropolitan roadway. I am not kidding, look it up. The pilot presses the remote in his plane, and this gate opens.
Here's what it looks like the other way, BEFORE the light turns red and the Coast Guard jet taxis across Harbor Drive to join the other jets at Lindburgh Field.
 I  made it past the airport, along the edge of the bay, and rode back into the wind and home.
Not forgetting to take a photo of the USS Recruit, a fake boat made of plywood that sits in the sand near Liberty Station (the former Naval Training Center).
Thrilled with my morning's efforts, I kicked back with an Ace Apple Cider. Then took a nap. The end.