Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Police Interceptor

I like police cars. In the US, I'll wager that the most memorable police car of the last 25 years is the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Recently discontinued, it still claims a significant place in police fleets across the country. And is readily available "second-hand" for the police car lover. I've never had one myself, but have often thought of getting one.


Those thoughts were re-awakened this morning on my ride. I went through a large parking lot which is normally empty at this time of the morning. It was packed with cars of all sorts. I noticed a push-bar or two sticking out, where a police car was backed into a space with its nose protruding - ready for quick action.


As I looked around the lot, I saw Police Interceptors everywhere. From all sorts of city and county law enforcement agencies. Not customs, homeland security, or military, but everyone else.  And a number of covert Crown Vics, given away by plain paint jobs, small hub caps, tinted glass, an vast array of antennae, spotlights, hidden flasher lights behind the grille, etc. Not to mention the push bars.


I decided to try to photograph them all before I got myself arrested. So here we go ...

















Now as to this white one, could it be covert operations? It has an undercover cop look, I think. But civilian wheels. No badging. The spotlights had been removed and plugs inserted in the A pillars. I say a "wanna-be cop" owns this car. Or maybe the pastor.


Finally I found a clue to the plot. This is an overflow parking lot often used by the Rock Church. The pastor, a former football player, has a ministry to help with gang violence. I guess there must be a conference going on for police officers and others who deal with gangs.


Luckily, late-middle-age cyclists aren't considered a gang threat, and no one seemed to give me a second glance as I rode around in the parking lot this morning.


This video shows a few folks who now attend the Rock Church and reach out to kids positively, instead of causing trouble in their neighborhoods.