Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cycling The Crown City


I rode around Coronado today. San Diego in general is a nice place but Coronado is Gorgeous. It's thought to be named after the Spanish explorer, Francisco Vázquez de Coronado y Luján. A long-winded name, it suited today's weather. Notice the flag and the trees.


One of the things I noticed were all the blooming trees. While it is almost summer, and I should expect plants to have flowers, I don't think that way about trees. Most of our trees tend to be evergreens or palms. Not the showiest of flowers on those trees. But look at the Jacaranda.



And this whatever it is tree.


These flowers look like bottle-brush, or perhaps it's some kind of pepper tree.


After I'd had my fill of flowering trees, I headed northward along the eastern shore of Coronado, in the shadow of the bridge. I passed Tidelands Park and found the weekly Farmer's Market in progress. Since I had a plenty of money in my pocket and a mighty hunger in my belly, I stopped for some food.


If you are expecting Donuts or Fried Artichoke Hearts or something like that, I'm sorry. I bought a pound of Medjool dates from the Coachella Valley (which I began eating immediately), some local carrots and a bag of tiny Austrian Crescent potatoes. Which I will cook when I get home.


I really do need to bolt on the carrier rack, but I've also realized that will impede me from throwing the bike into the car. Maybe I will put the handlebar bag back on the bike.



MUSTANG CONVERTIBLES

Yes, indeed. Just one. Candy-apple red with the top down.