Friday, June 28, 2013

Shed and Fed, Part I

I went for a short ride today. The weather service was predicting the highest temperature of the year - as it turned out 94 was about the highest in the area. But it was swelteringly hot at my place - and I am working on assembling a shed. We decided to build it on our unused old brick patio.


But unused still   means "covered with debris" so that had to come out first.


I had to square and level the framework, and then build the shed's foundation.


Then I put on the plywood floor (all pressure-treated, rot- and termite-resistant lumber). And the plastic underlay floor for the shed.


In the middle of this project I had to stop and drink a quart or two of water. And flop on the couch for 10 minutes. Then, as I had promised my cat to get him some new food, I took out the bike and rode to the pet shop. There I got a handful of samples for future cat food purchases, and struggled up the big hill to my home.


Along the way I saw the sewer crew hard at work a few blocks away. I think they're going to be on schedule to get this whole project done by November.


They aren't bothering us much anymore, as they have moved off the "main drag" and onto another side street. Those residents are mightily inconvenienced, but they do have an alley to park in. As for me, I'm getting used to bike riding through totally-torn-up streets.


I got home after the ride, and fed Tiger. Then I went back to work on the shed. Unfortunately, I was so tired I could barely put up the walls. My arms are aching from hammering, and from carrying all the panels around, and then from screwing them into place.


But I succeeded. Tomorrow, the roof. What do you think? Does it look like a good home for the bicycles?