Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mission Hills

If there was ever an appropriate name for a community, Mission Hills is it. The neighborhood lies south and east of the first Presidio and Mission in what is now called California. And it's hilly as can be.

An old neighborhood - with an old Nursery with old-style, make-it-yourself signage.


There are old cars lurking at the curb, such as this Saab, which illustrates the free-thinking, professorial tone of the community. In the driveway were two modern Porsche 911 convertibles, and a Range Rover sat in front of the house, behind the Saab.


I was briefly diverted by this tiny library which stood in front of a Craftsman-style house. It was a  LittleFreeLibrary that offers free books to passers-by. I checked out the selection and borrowed a book called The House of Mondavi.



This well-preserved, forward-control Dodge pickup implies that Mission Hills is not just a place for intellectuals, but there's room for working folk too.



There's definitely a flower-loving component of the population which isn't afraid to say (in color) they're free-thinkers.


There are canyons to the north.


And valleys to the west (along with the marine layer) beyond the Presidio golf course and Old Town.


I found the remains of a eucalyptus tree - the bike is on the tree stump so you can see its size.


I found a path of decomposed granite and dirt - a road that I'd never seen before - and decided to explore it. As my riding motto is "Come Home Alive" I walked the steep stretches. This is not a path that rewards getting even one wheel in the wrong place!


The cactus are all around, in grand profusion.



I saw two Mustang Convertibles but didn't take pictures. Sorry. You'll have to trust me today.