Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Early on a Gray Day

For some reason I can't explain, I leapt out of bed at 6:20, dressed, and grabbed my bike. I took the downhill route and joined the early morning commuters. 


Some walk, some cycle, some drive. A few use mass transit - trolley or bus. 


I spotted an ever-so-long Escalade limo hogging 3 1/2 hotel parking slots. It's not the best vehicle for the daily commute to work...


Tiring of the traffic, I shifted over to the River Trail and while working my way eastward, pondered its successes and failures ...

Success - concrete ribbon now (mostly) running on both sides of the river for cyclists and pedestrians.
Failure - we can no longer see the river, what fun is that on a "riverside" path?


Success - wildlife habitat provided in the midst of the city
Failure - concrete so rough and uneven it's  difficult and in places unsafe to ride.


Failure - multiple sets of ludicrous signs and totally unrealistic expectations for users. 


Is it reasonable to screech to a halt, make 90° turn on sidewalk and proceed 100 yards, then repeat the same on other side? 


I think not. Have they never heard of a crosswalk? People-power is lazy (energy-conserving) by default. We all jaywalk - in addition to myself I saw 3 others doing the same. 

Failure - sudden end to western end of the path. No warning, no advice, no detour. All choices end up in mud or dirt, and under-ground, under-freeway, under-trolley, homeless lairs. 


Luckily it was dry this morning. 


I'm not a mountain-biker, nor do I mind riding in the dirt occasionally. But this is ridiculous. 


Failure - multiple nanny signs telling us what not to do. Nothing saying to enjoy this path. Why say "don't take shortcuts!" 20 times instead of running the path where all the shortcuts are taken? Sigh.

Success of the Green &  Failure to keep out invasive species - this lush green vine is the happy descendant of grapes planted over 200 years ago by Father Serra as the Spanish settled in San Diego.  I've enjoyed grapes here multiple times, but it's too early in the year for a snack.  


(The site of the old Presidio looms over us, as the morning traffic rushes by)


I took the long straight flat path westward to a hot shower and breakfast.