Friday, August 9, 2013

Minor Breakdown

This morning I started off at 7 am. Things went well for the first few miles - it was quiet on the road, in the skies, and on my bike.


Then the road told me that ominous times lay ahead. That it was going to violated as he roads in my neighborhood have been - ditches, giant holes, digging, scraping and re-piping. Look at the lines - you don't have to be a palm-reader to see the future ...


On a more positive aesthetic note, I spotted a particularly colorful planting at one house along my route. Green, red, grey, purple, pink, yellow-green. And beige stucco on the walls. 


I rode for quite a while, then after a stand-up session on an extremely steep stretch, I suddenly found I couldn't shift my front derailleur. The cable had popped out of its guide. Maybe due to frame flex? Fatigue? Old age (the bike, not me)?


This had never happened to me before. Although it meant the loss of the large chainring,  it was no big deal. Home I rode to set things right.