Thursday, August 15, 2013

Purple and Green Again

A few weeks ago I went for a ride on my sister-in-law's purple and green Bianchi bicycle. I mentioned that its color scheme matched my very old cycling shoes.


Well, apparently from that very same "color scheme era" comes my touring kayak. This morning I dug it out of the hedge where it has been residing for the last 4-5 years, and went for a paddle in the harbor.

Here's how the harbor looks like on a very gray morning (a Marine Layer described in an earlier blog).


Even with some fading from years of sun exposure this color combination is highly visible on the water. I think that's a good thing, considering the size of the boats I was cruising around in my kayak this morning.

It's also a good thing because at 18 feet 6 inches, this boat is 3 feet longer than my car and sticks out from both ends when I'm driving around town.


 So far today I have not ridden my bike, but I wouldn't rule it out.


PS - I did not ride today except to confirm the effect of cleaning and retightening my cranks. It had been a LONG time since these arms were removed from the spindle, and lately I've heard a bit of groaning when slogging up a steep hill.

The paint may be a bit scarred, but it is almost 40 years old. The Phil spindle seems ok - I just cleaned the dirt out around the lock ring and tightened things up.

I noticed the lettering in the brazed-on cable guide says Campagnolo. How about that?


If you didn't know, it takes a special puller to get the crank arms off. This is a TA tool for the TA cranks. A Campy, Sugino, Shimano, etc. puller won't work. But a Campy peanut butter wrench will turn the crank bolts just fine.