Thursday, April 4, 2013

Darn Near Dusk

We went out late today. I say We, meaning not my bike and I, but my wife of 38 years and I.
After a quick dinner of shrimp cocktail, pizza and miscellaneous left-overs, I felt I should get in a token ride. She insisted she come too. So off we went, with 90 seconds of preparation. Street clothes. Normal Shoes. Helmets, of course. I took her over to see the Weather Mirror.
We smelled the fresh flowers, and rode through alleys getting barked at by vicious dogs. Great fun eh?
At least we spotted a very nice old BMW motorcycle to get my Car Motorcycle of the Day photo. Then we got home before dark.
It was really just a bit of leg-stretching exercise after our 24-hour whirlwind tour of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I'll give you a quick summary.

One the way up, we spotted a Lamborghini but couldn't make him race us. We arrived safely, and visited with family. We gorged ourselves on Chicken Cacciatore. And garlic bread.
This morning, we set out on a tour of the PV peninsula. Among other things, we saw gorgeous homes covered with obnoxious but beautiful peacocks [click to enlarge and see more detail].

We walked through wonderful coastline native plant preserves, and had great hamburgers from the outdoor grill at the Donald Trump National Golf course. We snuck into the Portuguese Bend enclave where my wive's family formerly enjoyed their seaside homes (until they slid into the sea).
We toured the Point Vincente Interpretive Center and finished up by playing with their interactive Grey whale exhibit.
On the way out of the museum, we joined some whale fanatics, and we spotted some real Grey whales down by the kelp beds. You could tell this group was serious by their tanned faces and high-powered binoculars.
Finally, we drove home 120 miles in rush-hour traffic. That's why we only got a token bike ride completed today!