Monday, April 8, 2013

Hazardous Weather

We don't have much in the way of hazardous climatic conditions around here, but this morning seemed a bit unfriendly when I jumped on my bike. It only took about a quarter mile for me to change my mind and go home. Uphill. Into the wind.

Here is the marine weather forecast for the coastal waters (courtesy of Buoyweather):




Morning
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory.
Large short period wind waves.
Winds: WNW 22 to 29 knots
Seas: W 11 feet at 8 sec.
 = Hazardous conditions. Use extreme caution

Afternoon
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory.
Large short period wind waves.
Winds: WNW 22 to 30 knots
Seas: WNW 12 feet at 8 sec.
Any wind that blows 22-30 knots (25-35 mph) and warrants a Hazardous Condition warning is enough for me to stay off my bike. However, it wasn't enough to stop the de-construction crews from tearing great holes in our street.
I did grab a quick Riding My Bike photo. Here it is. All photos will be large today, to match the second half of the blog...


For the entire last week, we have been out chasing whales. I mentioned it in my last blog. Here are a couple more photos from yesterday, when we spotted a Blue Whale, the largest living creature ever on this planet.



I created an overlay on this actual photo to illustrate how BIG the whale is relative to the other ship and our front flag mast. Thanks to Wikipedia for the Blue Whale drawing and to Photoshop for assembling three photos.