Wednesday, April 10, 2013

On the Water

I went whale watching again this morning. We spotted three Gray whales, heading northward. It was probably a mother and two younger whales. 
I know the pictures can be kind of boring, but it's very exciting to be right nearby and hear them exhale, and watch them for a half hour.
I saw lots of pelicans too, and I never get tired of watching them soar along the wavetops, only inches from taking a bath (or having lunch). Or ramming into a suddenly-surfacing whale!
I decided this morning that I would take my bike to the boat, so I could get a ride in while down at the harbor. My plan worked fine. We sailed in, right on time.
I switched shoes, put on my pants clips and helmet, then rode along the piers and the waterfront.
While in the parking lot, I saw this very clean Volvo 122S, the precise model that was my second car. I kept it for 10 years but have had 75 cars since. Yes, that is not a typo. Seventy-five cars. And yes, he is in a no parking zone.
Near the G Street Pier I saw some of the few remaining local tuna fishing boats. At one time San Diego was the main port for the new world's fishing industry. Now there are just a handful of boats working out of our harbor.
After fighting the tourists on the waterfront, I decided to up the ante and took on the cars in the middle of downtown. I saw this nice Model A Ford chugging around the shopping mall, and chased it four blocks to grab a photo.
And as you might have anticipated if you've read my blog before, following right behind it was another Mustang convertible - white this time, with the top down and two ladies enjoying the beautiful afternoon. 
 As I made my way back to the waterfront, I went by the Maritime Museum, where I spotted the Dolphin (submarine) and the Berkeley (ferry).
I finished up back at the parking lot, just as the Hornblower Adventure was backing out of her slip to head off on the afternoon whale watching cruise! What a beautiful day it has been.