Friday, April 19, 2013

Twice The Ride Today

Even though I rode twice, I shouldn't get any bonus credits, because each ride was fairly easy. But fun, and that's what my cycling is about. See earlier blogs on exercise, racing, utility, etc. I am working at the guilt-free riding program.

Today's adventure started down on the pier, before my whale watching cruise. If you couldn't tell from the artsy photo, this is one of the mooring hawsers for the carrier / museum Midway, seen through the spokes of my Platano.
I rode southward along the waterfront and marveled at this wood and concrete structure, which the sign indicates is the entrance to Ruocco Park. Happily enough, it has its own website so I need not tell you about it - you can just go there on your own. Be sure to come back.
After 30-40 minutes of port-side cycling, I locked the bike in the car and hit the high seas. It was a beautiful, no a fantastically-beautiful day out on the water, as you can see from this bye-bye view of downtown San Diego, taken from the top deck of the ship.
The southern route is the one we took this morning on our search for the whales. The northern route is where Captain Bill took the Adventure Hornblower in the afternoon.
We found a couple Finback whales but they were skittish and didn't let us get close enough for any good photos. Would you be satisfied with a few huge dolphins, right on the bow of our ship? IN crystal-clear water...
After the cruise I went home and did chores. Then I remembered that I had promised yesterday to get photos of the other two cows in our neighborhood. So I hopped on the bike again and cruised around until I located the two homes with cows. Here they are:
Only the back end of Alfie is visible - the front end runs into a retaining wall. The other cow was purchased in a fund-raising campaign a few years ago, and has been in this front yard since then. And yes, she is bolted down.
On the way home I spotted this nifty old truck by the curb. It's my choice for Vehicle of the Day. I hope I don't have to tell you what make and model of truck it is.
Hint: It's a Ford, of course.