Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In the Hippie Zone

I started off before 7 am this morning, with lots of layers and the hope that my bright green vest would help me fend off the carpool-to-school moms. The low sun angle really lights up this bike!

I went to a neighborhood I have always considered the Hippie Zone, and for Ocean Beach, that's saying something. It's not an official title, or recognized community, but you can get some clues by observing the bead curtains, herbal aromas, flowers where cars should be, and in the case of this house, the Haight and Ashbury signs on the porch. [Click to enlarge any photo]
I liked the white picket fences too - atypical for Southern California. If you can see them behind the "I burn Bio-Diesel" pickup trucks.
Along the way I spotted a very nice Rat Rod. This was probably a Plymouth Sport Fury but all the badges, grill, door handles and chrome strips were gone. It had just the right balance of shiny and matt, ratty and rod, with discretely fabulous rims and tires. I'd drive it anytime!
Of course bumper stickers are part of Hippie Culture, so took a picture of this one, and left the neighborhood pondering the ironical question: What would Nixon do?
The morning's ride was a complete success. I also found this nice red and white 1957 Ford lurking quietly in the shadows of its tall house.
PS - I could feel myself getting squeezed tightly by cars and SUVs as I made my way up the hill past the high school. Without really having room to look around me, I clicked off a shot on my camera, tucked in my knees and elbows, and kept pedaling in a straight line. When I got home, this is what I found: