Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spotlights on the Streets

When I went out this morning on an early ride, I discovered that the neighborhood sewer replacement project has claimed another of my routes. I now have four fewer choices for cycling than I did two weeks ago. I was able to squeak down this road just as they were setting up barricades and preparing to start digging again.
The detour shunted me onto the main drag where I ran into the school traffic, which almost ran into me.  I guess I can't expect them to dodge each other, their kids, dogs and curbs while also noticing a cyclist. Even if I was dressed in the brightest of ORANGE shirts. 

Note to self: don't ride in this area at this time of the morning!
Speaking of Orange, I noticed this nice expensive Porsche at the curb the other day, while NOT riding my bike. We've had guests from out of town so spent a few days as tourist guides rather than cycling. 
During the course of the weekend we also had a wild weather episode, with winds up to 75 mph in the mountains. Here's my wife, trying to fly off the cliff.
But not much damage was caused by the winds, and back in the city we looked at the sights of our town with tourist eyes. I particularly like this old garden in Old Town.
Anyway, back to the bike ride. I spotted this truck at the curb - and it spotted me with its spotlights. In my youth, spot lights were the coolest accessory imaginable. I always wanted a car with spotlights. And  so when my stepdad Al bought a 61 Dodge Dart ex-police car with spots I was thrilled.

The truck is an ex-CHP or police truck - you can tell not only by the pair of windshield-pillar mounted spotlights, but by the auxiliary light brackets hidden in the grille openings just inboard of the headlights.
And the black camper shell, and the extended exterior rear view mirrors. And the specs of white paint visible where the cab and doors were formerly white. And the odd holes in the floor and dashboard. I never thought about getting an old surplus cop truck - now that's an idea for my next purchase!