Tuesday, September 24, 2013

106 Steps, Once

I rode down to the beach today. Why? It's a slightly convoluted story, so bear with me.


Some people collect beach glass (I don't). Here's what I found in a half-hour a few days ago.



Our friend Kim is a beach glass fanatic. So I had to tell her about Sunset Cliffs, with arms waving, 
"Lots of glass. Lots of secluded beach. Lots of water! Not many people."


She was skeptical. I was persistent, "There's even a staircase right down to the beach, with 100 steps."
 

It's best to go there at low tide, and this morning it was high tide. But I was on my bike ride, not gathering glass, so I didn't care that the water was right up to the steps.


Here's what it looks like at low tide - best time for finding beach glass.



This is what the cliffs look like from the water's edge (at low tide) in panorama. (click it to enlarge)


Why did I come down here? Oh yes. Beach glass. 

Here's what Kim and my wife found on their first exploratory trip down that staircase!



They reported back that the glass was great but there were 106 steps, not 100.

[continued in the next post]