Monday, September 23, 2013

A glorious day

I hit the road on my shiny bike today. I felt good but didn't plan to ride very far. The sun was shining, birds were screeching (they don't sing around here), and the roads were wide open.


 In fact, the open road beckoned to me (but I ignored it). Look at the sunshine! See the blue sky!


I saw my favorite blue hue on a BMW parked on the street. BMW call it Estoril Blue - after a district in Lisbon, Portugal, where a famous race course is located. Here's the blue:


Here's the district in Lisbon (thanks to Wikipedia Commons). You can see they are used to blues.


We (like Portugal) are in a Mediterranean climate, so we have blue skies too but lots of brown as well. No water, no growth. Here's a typical vacant lot.


Here's a view of the valley where I was "retreating" this week, up in the mountains east of San Diego. Not much water on the hillsides but they do irrigate in the valley. 


The retreat distracted me so I couldn't ride for 3-4 days - and no I didn't take my bike up with me as it was a 2-mile rough and gravely road in and out of the camp. But I digress - let's come back to today.

I rode around for awhile, then headed back home. Along the way I passed the Hosteling International's home for weary, visiting, round-the-world cyclists.