Friday, September 13, 2013

Gray Friday

It's one of those calm gray mornings when the marine layer clamps down on us and the wind can't decide which way to blow. The airport control tower cant make up its mind either as departing and arriving aircraft are changing directions too. 

I decided to hit the road. I found the destruction crews hard at work in a new neighborhood. This is a different contractor, because Ortiz Bros. are still hard at work in our area. 


Concrete comes out cleanly. But loudly. Which means there's a bit of shouting too. I sat on my bike on the sidewalk for awhile and watched the 9-man team in action. (Two are out of sight)


I wasn't the only one observing this turmoil. A mysterious but calm, 10-foot-tall Madonna in a nearby front garden watched with me. 


I'm getting highly skilled at navigating my bike across multiple paving breaks. But that doesn't mean I like it. There are some sections that literally frighten me. Our roads are atrocious. Now that our notorious skirt-chasing mayor is out of his job, perhaps the new mayor can help bring our infrastructure up to the level of mediocrity we are paying taxes for... 


Heading home, I stopped at the park and watched the planes drift into the airport. If this DHL freighter had gotten any lower, I'd have had to duck.