Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Back on the Boulevard

Today I dispensed with recreational riding and went off on my bike with a purpose in mind. Shopping. I was so fixed on this chore [ bike, cable, lock, grocery bag, money ] that I neglected the traffic jams which accompany the local high school letting its students out. Argggh!

At least I had on my high-visibility safety vest. Of course the vest is irrelevant when 90% of the students are staring fixedly at their phones as they wander out into traffic ...

But I'm getting ahead of myself. First I had to ride through the obstacle course sewer works.  The boys had constructed an elaborate display of force today - two tractors and a full-on dump truck.


And for the first time in this project I actually saw two guys shlepping some pipes around the park.


I found the market and bought some stuff. Here's their promo flyer.


Laden with my 8 lbs of produce and fish, I started home.


I had no idea that I would be car-spotting for the next mile. A Mustang Convertible to my right, and around the corner?


A 1961 Buick Convertible in original, sun-baked paint - but otherwise very nice shape.


And directly behind it - blocking the sidewalk and poking out into the street - another Mustang Convertible.

I took the least windy, least hilly route home - Ooops! Right past the second high school in our area, now letting its students out...