Monday, September 23, 2013

I forgot how to do it

Last week I rode several times but in the flurry of back-to-school life, I forgot to post on the blog. Wow. That's a big omission for me and I'm sorry. I didn't forget how to ride, or how to put up a post.

But I wanted to add a sound file to the blog and that takes some serious behind-the-scenes work, and I'd forgotten how to do it (even though I have previously put sound on my bird and icon blogs). Ah well. Technology and old age don't mix. And a new iPhone and iOS7 came out last week too!

But now I have remembered. Press the play button to hear what I am talking about...



I had ridden to the park and I was struck by all the chaos - the "mechanical woodpecker", the airplanes, reverse-warning-beepers, compressed-air brakes, dump truck passing, etc. I got tired of it and left.

I went out on the usual dusty, disheveled pavement.


I stopped, looked and listened at the park. It was an unending cacophony. Not to mention a mess of pipes, signs and debris.


Leaving all the noise behind, I rode over to some stylish streets in my neighborhood. Here's an example of a home recently treated to some love and affection. Even if cobalt, raspberry, terra cotta and purple aren't to everyone's preference, the place is neat and tidy.


This house is neat too, but too stark and maintenance free. It also strikes me as a bit like women who dress to deliberately show their underwear. The front porch is NOT the place I would choose to put my water softener tank. Nor would I want my solar panels up front gleaming on the front of the house. But maybe that's just me. Luckily I do not live across from these folks.


Riding home, I saw the previously-featured "world's tiniest back hoe" at work. The sewer guys had to trench down between two houses without knocking either one down. I had seen this task on the published plans. Apparently houses were built OVER the sewers back early in the last century, when some of the drawings weren't too clear. Now the city will abandon those old sewers, but they must run new lines to join up with the existing drains on this and several other houses.